Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Tax Office Marriages " I now pronounce you man and wife."

There are occasions when taxpayers in common-law marriage states, such as Texas, file Married Filing Jointly with live- in mates.

If you live in a common law state and file a joint tax return with your live in lover, you are are now married, whether you go throught the official proceeding or not. This will make it more may be difficult to walk away if you break up .You may have to seek a formal divorce and your former lover could possibly have rights to some of your assets. 

Legally, once a common law marriage has been established, there is no difference between a common law marriage and a ceremonial marriage.

Before you make an instant decision in a tax office that could change your life forever, ponder if you want to be married to this person and want them to have legal right to your assets

If you marry in the tax office, your  significant other may want a ring with your tax refund.

Places where common- law marriages can still be contracted: 9 states(Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Utah and Texas) and the District of Columbia.

* Note: If you live in a common law state and  you and your live in lover introduce yourselves  as husband and wife, then you may legally be obligated to file tax return as married. You may be in violation of  IRS regulations if you file single or head of household after presenting yourself to be married.

Tax Charm blog is not legal or professional advice.

You are reading Tax Charm blog at your own free will and you are taking the information provided at your own risk.

I am the legal copy righter of this blog, you may not use, reprint or publish information from this blog without my permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment